Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Yessssss!

When we bought Emerson's fish, Madison found THE new pet that she wants...a little brown mouse that she totally fell in love with and feels compelled to rescue, as a mouse this size is sometimes not purchased to be a pet (if you know what I mean), so there was a definite sense of urgency to bring him "home".
We Martin girls find things that we "just have to have...now" from time to time. Sometimes we get our instant gratification, but other times Jon reminds us "it's good to want for things", which obviously means that waiting and saving is good for you...it builds character.
To be clear, I agree with him completely and have been working on asking myself more often if something is a need vs. a "want"...he is so wise! :)
NOT buying it right a way was a good lesson and an exercise in discipline for both of us...I couldn't buy it for her, despite the emotion of it and how badly I could see she wanted it, she had to save for it. I know, just call me a party pooper.
Madison had a little money already, did quite a few extra chores for more yesterday, and had her "first official" babysitting job today for her Aunt Carrie, so the good news is that she is 3/4 of the way to buying her mouse and the all inclusive starter kit she needs for his home. She has also been a huge help with babysitting Emmy this week and will get her first "paycheck" on Friday (insert the get paid AFTER you do the work, not before, lesson here), so we may have a new member of the family to report by the weekend. Eeek.
Good job Madison!
As a sidenote, I am happy to report that Jon was feeling a little better today, as the body aches and fever are gone and his "spunk" and sense of humor are returning...he even teased me today!
Anyway, thank you all for your prayers, he is on the mend and we are very thankful!

4 comments:

Mom said...

I, too, am impulsive so I think it comes naturally for some of us to "want and buy" quickly - You, however, are teaching a very important lesson to the girls about "earning" the ability to purchase something you want so very badly and that will (and already has, I know) translated to well-rounded, conscientious and San-Fran-Tabulous little people.

Mom said...

P.S. I'm thrilled to hear Jon is doing better and improving !

Carrie said...

I wonder if your cats will try to eat Madison's new mouse. Might be funny to let them try.

Lisa said...

You're bad Carrie!